Philson Library (Medical and Health Sciences)

Te Herenga Hauora

The Philson Library supports the research, teaching and learning needs of students and staff of the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences and the information needs of Auckland District Health Board staff.

 

About the Library

The Philson Library is named after Dr Thomas Moore Philson, who held a range of medical administrative posts in Auckland from 1858 to 1883. On his retirement, he was presented with a purse containing 270 sovereigns, which he donated to found a library for medical students in Auckland. 

Resources provided cover the research, teaching and practice of medicine; biomedical sciences; nursing; optometry and vision sciences; pharmacy; and other health sciences, including allied health, health administration and management, and health education and promotion. The Philson Library's collections are complemented by the Tāmaki Library's resources to support the School of Population Health. To read more about the Library's collections, including the Historical Collection, see Collections.