Geography and Environmental Science
- Dictionary of Earth Sciences
- Dictionary of Ecology
- Dictionary of Human Geography
- Dictionary of Physical Geography
- Dictionary of the Social Sciences
- Dictionary of Weather
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Hydrogeology
- Geographical Dictionary (1695)
- Glossary of Terms for Physical Geography
- Houghton Mifflin Dictionary of Geography
- Oxford Companion to the Earth
- Terms of Environment
- Encyclopedia of Climate and Weather
Covers climatology and meteorology with a strong focus on global warming and associated topics.
- Encyclopedia of Energy
Includes all forms of energy, the relationship between energy use and the environment, the effect of energy on history and society, a glossary and chronology of important events.
- Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resource, and Environmental Economics
Focuses on the use of economic principles to influence energy policy, environmental protection, and natural resource management.
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Health
Covers environmental health, environmental change, potential interventions and related ecological, political, economic, social and cultural issues.
- Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- Invasive Species Compendium
International resource, includes the biology, distribution, impact and management of invasive plants and animals.
- Oxford Reference Online
Collection of subject-specific dictionaries, encyclopedias and companions including selectable subject specialisations - Earth Sciences and Geography, Human Geography and Environmental Science.
- SAGE Knowledge
Encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks in the social sciences, including content on Geography, Earth and Environmental Science.
- Water Encyclopedia
Covers water quality, waste water, ground water, surface water, industrial water, water chemistry, drinking water, ultrapure water and water resources.
- Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization
More than 40,000 recently published books on all subjects.
- EBSCO eBook Collection
A multidisciplinary collection of more than 10,000 titles.
Full-text access to multidiscplinary journal articles, reference works, books and chapters including Earth Sciences and Geography, and Environmental Sciences disciplines.
Books and handbooks on water science and engineering.
Articles of interest to geographers and environmental scientists are published in a wide range of journals.
- American Geographical Society's focus on geography
- Annals of the Association of American Geographers
- Australian geographer
- Canadian geographer
- Geographical review
- Journal of geography
- National geographic
- New Zealand geographer
- Professional geographer
From the Geospatial data guide.
From the Geospatial data guide.
New Zealand census
From the Statistics and numeric data guide.
- DOC maps and geospatial services
- Landcare Research: Resources
- OECD: New Zealand
- Geoscience Australia
Maps, data, GIS files and spatial metadata for Australian geoscience, including earth monitoring, observation and imagery, energy, greenhouse gas storage, groundwater, hazards (fires and earthquakes), marine and coastal, minerals and topogragraphic information.
- GOCE (Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer)
Imagery, maps and data from part of the European Space Agency's Earth Explorer satellite programme.
- National Oceanic and Atmsopheric Administration - NOAA (US)
- Climate Maps & Data
Global and US climate data presented as dashboards, maps and downloads.
- Ocean Service Geospatial Data
- NOAA View - Data Imagery Portal, part of their Environmental Visualization Laboratory
Dymanic global map tool to view ocean, atmoshere, land, cryosphere, and climate data sets over time with description and download options.
- Climate Maps & Data
- OECD - Environment
UN Environmental Data Explorer
National, subregional, regional and global statistics or as geospatial data sets (maps), covering themes like freshwater, population, forests, emissions, climate, disasters, health and GDP.
- US Geological Survey
- World Energy Council - Data
Dymanic data about energy production, security, sustainability and use by region and country, presented as dashboards, charts, tables and available to download.
Theses recognised for excellence
Examples of theses acknowledged for excellence at School, Faculty and University level.
Science Faculty Dean's List (PhD theses)
- Beetham, E. (2016) Field and numerical investigations of wave transformation and inundation on atoll islands.
Thesis with publication. A good example of how to include publications in a thesis with continuous flow and minimal repetition.
- Cheung, A. (2015) Spatial and temporal topological analysis of landscape structure using graph theory.
School of Environment Research Awards
- Leenman, A. (2016) Deciphering historic change in tributary-junction fans in response to catchment wide sedimentary disturbance.
Referencing for Geography and Environmental Science
There are different preferred referencing styles across the School of Environment, please consult your lecturer or department about which style to use, and your Subject Librarian for more details on a particular style.
Access a range of tools and support material to assist your referencing work.
Use this interactive tool to view examples of references.
Covers a range of styles used at the University of Auckland.