| Useful subject headings for Voyager, the library catalogue
To locate all the items held in the Library on a certain subject, conduct a Subject Heading search.
Use Islands of the Pacific rather than Pacific Islands. Another example: Islands
of the Pacific commerce.
Use Oceania for an overview of the region. Another example: Oceania
Other useful ubject heading terms:
Pacific Islanders Commerce New Zealand
Oceania Social Life and Customs
Pacific Area, etc. .
Pacific Islanders New Zealand Social Life and Customs
Polynesia, Melanesia , Micronesia
Samoa, Tonga ,Cook
Islands, New Caledonia, Papua
New Guinea etc.
| Economic Overviews
Business Source Premier contains Pacific Islands country reports from the EIU Economist Intelligence Unit in London. The reports examine and explain in
depth the issues shaping the country: the political scene, economic policy, domestic economy, sectoral trends, and foreign trade and payments.
- Finding a Country Profile : search the Business Source Premier database. Profiles are published once a year and supplemented by the Country Reports (see below). The Pacific Islands are covered by one
report, Country Profile Pacific Islands. Profiles usually covers basic data, politics, the economy, resources and infrastructure, economic sectors, and the external sector. Type the name and change the 'in' box to SO Publication name. For example: Country Profile Pacific Islands.
- Finding a Country Report: Search the Business Source Premier database. Reports are usually published each month although there are some gaps. Note there is also a 6 month
embargo on the electronic full text. Generally there is an outlook for the next 2 years, which includes coverage of the domestic economy, economic policy, and the political structure and scene. Type the country name and the words country report and change the drop down box to SO Publication name. For example: Samoa country report.
- EIU Economist Intelligence Unit Country Reports for Fiji, New
Caledonia, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Vanuatu, Western Samoa are held in print in the General Library NZ&P Level G 330.99 C85, dating from 1997 onwards.
- Background notes on the countries of the world: from the US Superintendent of Documents in Washington. Search the Business Source Premier database. The notes contain geography, people, economy, politics, travel information etc. You can search as a
publication name and add a country in the keyword box to search. For example: Background notes on the countries of the world and change the drop down box to SO Publication name and enter the country e.g. Tonga.
ABI/Inform database contains some publications which cover the Pacific Islands.
- EIU Viewswire in ABI/Inform database has brief overviews for countries. General topics covered include business, economy, politics, finance, regulations and risk wire. There are several search methods. For example, type: pmid (65888) and Samoa OR drill down via the publication search tab and country
Factiva database: contains company profiles and news articles from the Asia Pacific region. You can search by Pacific Islands region. Factiva indexes the PAC News (Cooperative of the Pacific Islands of Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Fiji, Cook Islands and Kiribati
established to generate and share news with each other) from Canberra.
| Country Information
| Pacific Markets
|Marketing & Advertising, Consumer Information and Market Share
- Passport GMID
This database can give basic details about the geography , political situation and current business trends in each country. Expand Asia Pacific in the geography, and select general category headings in such as population, foreign trade. Sources are usually official statistics.
- OFFSTATS database Official Statistics on the web, compiled by Business & Economics Information Services Team at the University of Auckland General Library. Provides links to government statistics for Pacific Island countries.
- Business Monitor Online - use keyword search for Pacific Islands or individual countries
| Pasifika Women in Business
Pacific Business Development Foundation By providing
access to capital, using venture funding, SPDB allows women and their
families to pursue their dreams and achieve their full potential. The
site highlights successful women entrepreneurs in Samoa.
SPC South Pacific Secretariat Pacific Women's Bureau focuses on womens' issues
including business and employment opportunities.
Pacific Womens' Economic Board (New
Zealand ). Report on first meeting September 2007, at the Beehive.
|Pacific Company Information
- Company information can be sourced from a variety of places.
- Depending on the type of information required, it may be necessary to look in a number of resources.
- Confidentiality or commercial sensitivity will be the most likely reasons for some information not being available.
- For small and most unlisted companies in the Pacific Islands information is very limited, particularly financial information.
- It may be useful to do a GUIDED KEYWORD search on Voyager to find company information in books or chapters in books. A SUBJECT HEADING search using the heading business enterprises pacific or business
enterprises cook islands etc. may also be useful.
- Additional resources to check include databases which index journals and newspapers, such as Factiva, ABI Inform or Business
Source Premier. You can often piece together information about a company by analysing information from journal and newspaper articles
- Google searching may be fruitful.
- Mergent database for annual reports in pdf form back to about 1990. Also company synopsis, history, joint ventures, subsidiaries, long term debt, executives, and news.
Setting up a Business in the Pacific
- Business Source Premier : use the Company Profile button to call up the company. Brief company information will display. Within the brief overview click on the [PDF] Complete Report link. The company profiles are from DataMonitor. In
addition, there are also industry reports from DataMonitor and industry yearbooks from Global Insight.
- Pacific Business News currently has a beta version of a directory of Pacific company profiles
- Datastream database - listed companies in the Pacific region back to 1973.
- South Pacific Stock Exchange : (SPSE), formerly the Suva Stock Exchange, is currently the only licensed securities exchange in the Fiji Islands. In November 2000, the Stock Exchange officially changed its name to the South Pacific Stock Exchange (SPSE).
The change is in line with the SPSE's vision of being a regional exchange. Site includes Stock Exchange Listing Rules and announcements.
Send Money Pacific was created through the joint Australian and New Zealand Governments' led initiative 'Reducing the Cost of Remittances to the Pacific'. The project has been developed and managed by the project partner, Developing Markets Associates Ltd (DMA).
|Education and Training
| Business Resources and Publications
|Databases for Pacific Business
- ABI/Inform (ProQuest) international business coverage
- Asia Studies Fulltext Online from APEC
- Australia New Zealand Reference Centre fulltext Australian,New Zealand and overseas news.
- Business Source Premier (Ebsco) includes Pacific Economic Review and Asia Pacific Business Review journals
- Factiva Company profiles and news articles
- International Financial Statistics (IMF) financial and economic data for all countries from 1948 -, including GDP, National Accounts, currency, interest rates.
- Index New Zealand INNZ General index to New Zealand journals and newspapers from 1987 onwards. Also indexes Pacific Islands Monthly.
- NewzText Plus : a full-text database of major New Zealand newspapers and business magazines.
- Niustext : a database providing searchable full-text access to several Pacific Islands publications, including Cook Islands Herald,
Cook Islands Time,
FemLINKPacific Islands Business,
Pacific Business Online,
Pacific Islands News Association,
Pacific Media Centre,
Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation,
South Pacific Regional Environment Programme
- Project Muse is a database with links to a large number of full-text journals, including The Contemporary Pacific, Oceanic Linguistics and Pacific Science.
- Pacific islands index compiled by New Zealand and Pacific Dept., Auckland City Libraries. 1978-1996
Location : Central City Auckland Research Centre - Serials - Basement - Ask at Desk
Includes an index to Pacific Islands Monthly 1978-1992.
From 1987 to June 1996 items from other sources, such as Islands business, and the New Zealand Herald were also included in the index.
- ANZ Pacific Research provides a quarterly review of Pacific Islands economies.
- Asia Pacific business review. London : Frank Cass, c1995- (Western Pacific - Asia)
- Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal The APLPJ is the first fully-functional, web-based, American legal journal dedicated to issues facing Asia and the Pacific Rim. It is maintained by the University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law.
- Business Pasifika : a monthly look at business in the Pacific community a New Zealand journal from the Pacific Business Trust. Print 2004-2009.
- The Contemporary Pacific A publication for interdisciplinary work in Pacific studies and contemporary issues in the Pacific region.
- Graduate Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies : a peer reviewed interdisciplinary journal showcasing articles, commentaries, reviews, and visual works of graduate students of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Auckland.
- Islands business Islands Business International, Suva. Full text from May 2005 in Niustext and Fiji Islands business online issues.
- Journal of Asia-Pacific business from the International Business Press, NY. Online from vol. 1 no. 1 1997 - contains mainly Western Pacific Asian studies.
- Jouurnal of the Asia Pacific Economy (JAPE) London : Routledge Journals. Electronic since 1996.
- Journal of Maori and Pacific development. Hamilton, N.Z. : School of Maori and Pacific Development, University of Waikato, 2000-
- NZ Pacific Navigator previously published by the Pacific Islands Trade and Investment Commission. Ceased in July 2010.
- Pacific Magazine and Islands Business Pacific Magazine is not currently available.
| Statistics Sources
For help with finding organisations by their initials use this Acronym finder created for Pacific Studies students.
Organisations in the Pacific
- Asian Development Bank website contains economic and statistical information, as well as details of ongoing ADB development projects in the Pacific Islands.
- Pacific Islands Business Network (PIBN), provides purchasing agents, overseas investors, and individual consumers with information about products and services available in Joint Commercial Commission (JCC), member Pacific Islands states coordinated by the Pacific Islands Development Program of the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawai'i.
- Pacific Islands Forum comprises 16 independent and self-governing states in the Pacific. The Forum is established by a treaty between its members as the region’s premier political and economic policy organisation.
- Pacific Regional Economic Integration Programme (PACREIP)
The negotiations of an Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) between Pacific Island Countries and the European Union (EU) will be assisted with the launch of a website containing information on the Pacific Regional Economic Integration Programme (PACREIP). PACREIP assists in the Pacific region's preparations and conduct of negotiations of the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) with the European Union (EU), and provides support for the region in World Trade Organization talks.
- Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) An international organisation, the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) works in partnership with its members, other organisations and donors to deliver priority work programmes to member countries and territories.
- South Pacific Tourism Organisation information on Pacific tourist markets and investment.
Pacific Regional Environmental Programme - environmental
Regional overview Pacific Islands-In line with the
recommendations of the 2004 Pacific Islands Forum Review, Australia
will place a greater emphasis on regional approaches in aid
programming, and play a lead role in building cooperative frameworks
with other donors and with regional organizations. Papua
New Guinea has its own site.
In New Zealand
of the South Pacific School of Economics has working
papers, articles, and refereed publications. Of interest is the
reportEconomic Impact of Natural Disasters
on Development in the Pacific : Research Report and Economic Assessment Tools jointly prepared with the Australian
Agency for International development (AusAid)
- University of Hawaii.
Center for Pacific Island Studies The University also hosts
the Shidler College of Business which hosts Centers such as the Family Business Center and the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship and E-Business
- Pacific Islands Development Program (PIDP) East-West Center.
Based In Hawaii, PIDP began as a forum through which island leaders could discuss critical issues of development with a wide spectrum of interested countries, donors, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector. Search for
reports using a Voyager search Includes Resources
for Pacific a list of Island Business Associations, mainly Chambers of Commerce and manufacturers organisations. East
West Center Publications are listed such as Pacific islands report.
Also useful is the Pacific Islands report links
- Pacific project A
series of Pasifika papers have been commissioned by the Chief
Executives of the New Zealand Public Service. Topics include interactions with Pasifika from a number of perspectives, including the Pacific Island
economy in New Zealand, the economies of the islands themselves,
trades, borders and migration. Based in the Institute for Policy
Studies, Victoria University of Wellington
- University of Waikato, New
Zealand. Hosts the Te
Pua Wānanga ki te Ao - School of Māori
and Pacific Development Centre for Maori and Pacific Development Research (CMPDR).
Site includes the online journal He Puna Kōrero: Journal of Maori and Pacific Development
- Australian National University Research School of Pacific and
| Theses, dissertations and other research
Visit the Theses and
dissertations page on the Library home page, which lists all
theses in the University of Auckland Library system
and helps you search for overseas theses too.
The Union List of Higher Degree Theses is an
annual print bibliography of theses lodged in New
Zealand libraries, with coverage going back to 1910.
Available from the New Zealand & Pacific Quick
Reference shelves Level G in the GENERAL LIBRARY,
Call No. 013.37895 U581.
Internet Gateway: Other libraries Access the online catalogues of the
other New Zealand universities
| Trade and Investments
- Australia Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade Information on Australian foreign affairs and trade relationships with the Pacific Island nations, and includes South Pacific Country information and the Response of the Australian Government to the Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Reference Committee Report (Volumes I and II) on the Economic and Security Challenges facing Papua New Guinea and the island states of the south west Pacific.
- Pacific Islands Trade and Invest from the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat.
- Pacific Islands Trade and Investment Commission (Sydney) The Pacific Islands Trade and Investment Commission aims to contribute to the sustainable economic advancement of the Pacific Island Forum countries by supporting private sector development in the region. Covers Cook
Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Republic of Marshall Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
- FDI.net World Bank FDI information by country.Development Banks of each Pacific Island country contain lots of trade and investments information on each Pacific Island country e.g. Development bank of Samoa and Fiji Development BankMinistries of Finance are also primary sources of business and economic information on each Pacific Island country i.e. Western SamoaPacific Business Connections, directories, news, business
- Pacific Islands
Business network (Hawaii)
Business opportunities in the United States-Pacific
| Other links
|Copyright©The University of Auckland Library
Comments and suggestions to:Manuhiri Huatahi or Judy McFall
17 January, 2014