Websites and Directories
Internet Databases & Indexes
Sir Joseph Banks' Papers
Papers held in the Mitchell and Dixson collections at the State Library of New South Wales. Includes Endeavour journal. Fulltext and keyword - searchable
South-Seas: Voyaging and Cross-Cultural Encounters in the Pacific
Includes the Endeavour journals of James Cook and Joseph Banks, and published accounts of the voyage by Sydney Parkinson and John Hawkesworth
- Early Canadiana Online
Keyword searchable, contains the fulltext of Captain James Cook's: 'The three voyages of Captain James Cook round the world' and 'A voyage to the Pacific Ocean : undertaken by command of His Majesty for making discoveries in the Northern Hemisphere...'
- Archaeozoology in New Zealand
- Biographical Directory of Anglican Clergy
In New Zealand, Polynesia and Melanesia 1814-1926 (ordained)
- Chinese in New Zealand
- Daughters of the Pacific
Dictionary of New Zealand Biography
Fulltext, browsable and keyword-searchable
- Early New Zealand Books Online
University of Auckland. 55 searchable books from 1807- 1890 (Feb 2007).
- Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online
Includes various editions of Cook's voyages.
A searchable, fulltext database of material published in the United Kingdom 1701-1800
- Fish MNI New Zealand Archaeological Sites
- Flora of New Zealand
- LINZ Topographical Maps
NZ topographical maps from Land Information New Zealand. Here you can check the map grid areas of the national map series to identify which map sheet you require. Printed map sheets are available to the public through map retailers. Digital copies of maps are also available for download, including the Topo50 and Topo250 series, plus other small scale maps covering New Zealand and its offshore islands, some Pacific islands and Antarctica's Ross Sea region.
New Zealand Radiocarbon Database Department of Conservation, The University of Waikato, and the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Ltd. Includes results from seven laboratories
- New Zealand Archaeological Association
Includes a good list of links to NZ archaeology pages and organisations, some fulltext articles and the following databases
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust Register
- Nga Tipu Whakaoranga
Manaaki Whenua LandCare Research, Traditional uses of NZ native plants
- Nga Tipu o Aotearoa New Zealand Plants.
Names of native plants
- The New Zealand Wars
- New Zealand Electronic Text Centre
- Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand
1868-1961 journal for scholarly writing on the Maori before the founding of the Journal of the Polynesian Society in 1892. Keyword searchable online version with links to page images
- Project Canterbury Anglicanism in New Zealand
Includes texts of missionary publications
- PARADISEC (Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures)
Digital conservation and access for endangered audio, text and visual material from the Pacific region
Bishop Museum. 70,000 objects listed, 1000 with photographs and detailed descriptions
Antique Maps of the Pacific Islands
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Includes statistics, lists of contacts, economic and political data and analysis of individual Pacific countries and New Zealand. See under "Countries"
ECAI Pacific Language Mapping
Maps from Wurm, S. A.and Hattori, Shiro (eds.). 1981, 1983. Language Atlas of the Pacific Area. Canberra: Australian Academy of the Humanities in collaboration with the Japan Academy. Registered scans of the maps from the Language Atlas of the Pacific Area (excluding the maps of Japan)
- Ethnologue Country Index - Languages of the Pacific
Summer Institute of Linguistics. Includes language maps of Indonesia, Papua-New Guinea and Oceania
- Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute
University of the South Pacific School of Law.
Online legislation and case law
Langdon, Robert (ed.) The P.M.B. book of Pacific indexes. Canberra: Pacific Manuscripts Bureau, 1988.
- Langdon, Robert (ed.) Where the whalers went : an index to the Pacific ports and islands visited by American whalers, and some other ships, in the 19th century. Canberra : Pacific Manuscripts Bureau, A.N.U., 1984.
Pictorial and Film
Conservation and Cultural Heritage Management
Archaeological Sites and Excavations