Use the Catalogue to find material in the University of Auckland Library’s collection of books, journals, theses, television programmes and conference proceedings. You can search materials using Korean vernacular scripts (한글, 漢字) or romanized scripts.
Use to find definitions of terminology and overviews of topics about Korea.
- Introduction to Korean Studies
- Korean Studies guide
- Selected bibliography of Korean Studies
- The Harvard Korean Studies bibliography
- Hanʾgukhak sajŏn = 한국학 사전
- Haeoe Hanʼgukhak paeksǒ = 해외 한국학 백서
- Hanʾgukhak tae paekkwa sajŏn = 한국학 대백과사전
- Korea: a historical and cultural dictionary
- Hanʾguk minjok munhwa tae paekkwa sajŏn = 한국민족문화대백과사전
- Hanʾguk minsok taesajŏn = 한국민속대사전
- Hanʾguk munhwa paekkwa sajŏn = 한국문화백과사전
- Han'guk munhwa taesajŏn = 한국문화대사전
- Hanʼguk sesi pʻungsok sajŏn = 한국세시풍속사전
- Historical dictionary of the Republic of Korea
- Encyclopedia of the Korean War: a political, social, and military history
- The Korean War: a historical dictionary
- Chŭngbo sae kuksa sajŏn =증보 새國史事典
- Kuksa taesajŏn = 國史大事典
- Kugŏ tae sajŏn = 국어대사전
- Pʻyojun kugŏ taesajŏn = 표준 국어대사전
- Uri mal soktam k'ŭn sajŏn = 우리말 속담큰사전
- Pukhan ŏhwi sajŏn = 북한 어휘사전
- Chosŏn mal sajŏn = 조선말사전
- Hanʾguk munhak taesajŏn = 한국 문학대사전
- Pukhan munhak sajŏn = 북한 문학사전
- Historical dictionary of North Korea
- North Korea handbook
- North Korea in quotation: a worldwide dictionary, 1948-2004
- Pukhan taesajŏn = 북한대사전
- Korea yearbook: politics, economy and society
- Han'guk tʻonggye yŏn'gam = 한국통계연감
- Pukhan yŏnʾgam = 북한연감
- Acta Koreana
A quarterly magazine published by Academia Koreana of Keimyung University.
- East Asian Review
A quarterly magazine published by the Institute for East Asian Studies.
- International Journal of Korean Studies
A semi-annual journal published by the International Council on Korean Studies in New York.
- Korea Journal
A quarterly academic journal published by Korean National Commission for UNESCO in Seoul.
- Korea Observer
A quarterly peer-reviewed journal by the Academy of Korean Studies.
- Korean Studies
An annual journal provided by the University of Hawaii Press.
- Seoul Journal of Korean Studies
A semi-annual academic journal from the Institute of Korean Studies at Seoul National University.
- The Journal of Korean Studies
An annual journal published by the Stanford Korean Studies Program in Seattle.
- The Review of Korean Studies
A semi-annual academic journal published by the Academy of Korean Studies.
- Vantage Point
A bi-monthly magazine about North Korea.
- The Korean Journal of Policy Studies
A semi-annual journal from the Graduate School of Public Administration at Seoul National University.
- The Journal of East Asian Affairs
A semi-annual journal from the Institute for National Security Strategy (Seoul, Korea).
- Korea and World Affairs
A yearly magazine published by the Korea Research Center for Peace and Unification.
- Korean Journal of Defense Analysis
A quarterly journal published by the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses.
- SERI Quarterly
A quarterly economic magazine published by Samsung Economic Research Institute.
- Korea and the World Economy
Previously called the Journal of the Korean Economy, issued three times a year by Association of Korean Economics Studies.
- Journal of Korean Law
A semi-annual law journal from the College of Law at Seoul National University.
- Korea University Law Review
An annual journal published by the Legal Research Institute of Korea University.
- Korean Journal of International and Comparative Law
An annual periodical published by the Korean Society of International Law.
- Journal of Korean Religions
A bi-annual journal published by the Institute for the Study of Religion at Sogang University.
- Chʻangjak kwa pipʻyŏng = 창작과비평.
A quarterly magazine on Korean literature, published by Changbi Publisher.
- Chindan hakpo = 震檀學報.
An academic journal on Korean Studies, published by the Chindan Society.
- Chŏngsin munhwa yŏn’gu = 정신문화연구.
A quarterly journal on Korean Studies, published by the Academy of Korean Studies.
- Han’guk ŭmak yŏn’gu = 韓國音樂硏究.
A semi-annual journal on Korean music, published by the Korean Musicological Society.
- Hanʼguk munhwa illyuhak = 한국문화인류학.
A semi-annual journal on cultural anthropology in Korea, published by the Korean Society for Cultural Anthropology.
- Hanʼguksa hakpo = 韓國史學報.
A semi-annual journal for the studies of Korean history, compiled by the Society for Studies of Korean History.
- Han'gŭl = 한글.
A journal on Hangul, the Korean characters, published by the Hangeul Association.
- Sae kugŏ saenghwal = 새국어생활.
A quarterly governmental journal published by the National Institute of Korean Language.
- Sin Tonga = 新東亞.
A monthly current affairs magazine from the Dong-A Ilbo Co.
- Tongbang hakchi = 東方學志.
English title is Journal of Far Eastern studies, published by the Institute for Korean Studies at Yonsei University.
- Wŏlgan Chosŏn = 月刊朝鮮.
A monthly current affairs magazine from Choson Ilbo newspaper, Co.
Chosŏn (朝鮮) dynasty
- Yijo sillok = 이조실록 (李朝實錄).
- Kojong Sunjong sillok = 高宗 純宗 實錄.
- Chŭngbo Yŏnhaengnok chʻonggan = 증보 연행록 총간 (增補 燕行錄 叢刊).
Japanese occupation period
- Han minjok tongnip undongsa charyojip = 한민족 독립운동사 자료집.
- Chuhan Ilbon Kongsagwan kirok = 주한 일본공사관 기록.
- Taehan Min'guk Imsi Chŏngbu charyojip = 대한민국 임시정부 자료집.
- Charyo Taehan Minʻguksa = 자료 대한민국사.
- Nam-Pukhan kwanʾgye saryojip = 남북한 관계 사료집.
- 5.18 Kwangju minjuhwa undong charyo ch'ongsŏ = 5.18 광주 민주화 운동 자료 총서.
Selected resources on the Republic of Korea (대한민국) and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (조선민주주의인민공화국).
- Arts and culture
- Economics and business
- Government and politics
- Language and literature
- Images and maps
- Newspapers and media
- National data portal 공공데이터포털
A portal website for South Korea’s national knowledge and information resources. Korean language only.
A database of scholars in the field of Korean Stuides and Korea-related professionals around the world.
- Korea web
An international English-based non-partisan portal website on Korean Studies. Organized by subjects including art, academia, associations, books, history, kids, music, literature, scholarship & jobs, computing, etc.
- Center for Korean studies material 한국학 자료센터
A research portal on Korean Studies established by a group of universities in Korea.
- Digital encyclopaedia of North Korea 디지털 북한백과사전
- Arts Council Korea 한국문화예술위원회
Information on cultural and artistic activities in Korea.
- National Gugak Center 국립국악원
A national institute preserves Gugak, the Korean traditional music.
- The Korean art history connection 한국 미술사학 정보실
A bibliography of Korean art history.
- Korean film archive 한국영상자료원
Provides comprehensive resources on Korean films.
- KOFIC 영화진흥위원회
The website of the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).
- Korean movie database 한국영화 데이터베이스
A searchable database about Korean movies.
An English language database that offers information on Korean dramas and movies.
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy 산업통상자원부
A ministry of the South Korean government that oversees economic affairs.
- The Bank of Korea 한국은행
The central governmental bank of South Korea. The website provides research papers on the Korean economy.
- Economic Statistics System 한국은행 경제통계시스템
Provides economic data and statistics covering the main sectors of the Korean economy.
- Korea International Trade Association 한국무역협회
A trade-promoting association that represents the interests of Korea’s international traders.
- Korea Federation of Small and Medium Business 중소기업중앙회
Established in 1962 to assist SMEs to flourish and meet their needs.
- Korea Economic Research Institute 한국경제연구원
A private economic research institute which conducts research on the Korean economy.
- Korea Institute of Finance 한국금융연구원
Provides expert analysis of Korea's financial sectors and financial policies.
The South Korean government’s official English homepage.
- The Republic of Korea Government 대한민국 정부
The official homepage of the South Korean government. In Korean.
- Konggam Korea 공감 코리아
An official portal website of governmental policies of South Korean government, including official press releases. Available in Korean only.
- Cheongwadae 청와대
An official homepage of the Presidential Blue House (Cheongwadae) of South Korea.
- National Archives of Korea 국가기록원
Provides access to archived materials.
- The National Assembly of Korea 대한민국 국회
An official homepage of the Parliament of South Korea which provides a database of current laws and ordinances.
- Supreme Court of Korea 대법원
The Supreme Court of Korea is the highest judicial tribunal in the nation and is the court of last resort.
- Seoul Metropolitan City 서울특별시
An official homepage of Seoul city, the capital of South Korea.
- Naenara 내나라
The official website of the North Korean government.
- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea 조선민주주의 인민공화국
An official web page of the North Korean Government in English.
- Korean history online 한국역사정보 통합시스템
An integrated digital library that provides comprehensive data on Korean history.
- The Annals of the Choson Dynasty 조선왕조실록
A searchable online resource of the Annals of the Choson Dynasty (朝鮮王朝實錄).
- The Daily Records of Royal Secretariat of Chosun Dynasty 승정원 일기
A collection of daily records of Sungjongwon (承政院), which was the Royal Secretariat during the Choson Dynasty.
- Korean history database 한국사 데이터베이스
Provided by the National Institute of Korean History.
- Korea history animation
A multi-media animation that showcases Korean history in a continuing time line. Developed by the University of Sydney.
- Naenara history 내나라 역사
Korean history provided by the North Korean government.
- Learn Korean Net
Free Korean online lessons.
- Learn Korean
A website that is designed to help the students who take Korean classes.
Korean language Study on the InterNET, provided by the National Institute for International Education.
- Digital Hangeul Museum 디지털 한글박물관
A virtual museum dedicated to become a depository on Hangul in cyber space.
- 21st Century Sejong Project 21세기 세종계획
A project to build the Korean Language Information-Oriented Project.
- National Institute of Korean Language 국립국어원
Conducts research on various linguistic aspects of the Korean language.
- The Hangeul Society 한글학회
A scholarly association of the Korean characters, Hangeul.
- The Society of Korean Language and Literature 국어국문학회
A society acting for the development of Korean language and literature.
- Korea Literature Translation Institute 한국문학번역원
The Institute (LTI Korea) supports translation and publishing of Korean literature in foreign languages.
- The Learned Society of Modern Korean Literature 한국현대문학회
- The Korean Writers’ Association한국문인협회
- The Association for Korean Linguistics 한국어학회
- East Asia image collections: Korea (Chosŏn)
Images of Korea during the Japan occupation period (1910-1945), provided by Lafayette College Library.
- Images of the Korean War
Provided by the US Navy.
- Korean War historical images
Provided by the US Army Korea.
Images of Korea, developed by the Korea Institute at the Australian National University.
- Perry-Castañeda Library map collection
Korean thematic maps at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Sea of Korea map collection
Korean maps held at the University of Southern California Korean Heritage Library.
- Kyunghyang Shinmun 경향신문 (English & Korean)
- The Hankyoreh 한겨레신문 (English & Korean)
- The Dong-a Ilbo 동아일보 (English & Korean)
- JoongAng Ilbo 중앙일보 (English & Korean)
- The Chosun Ilbo 조선일보 (English & Korean)
- Maeil business newspaper 매일경제신문 (Korean & English)
- The Korea economic daily 한국경제신문
- The Herald business 헤럴드경제
English newspapers in Korea
- KBS (Korean Broadcasting System) 한국방송공사
- MBC (Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation) 문화방송
- SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System) 서울방송
- EBS (Education Broadcasting System) 한국교육방송공사
- Arirang TV 아리랑국제방송
Media of North Korea
- Korean Central News Agency 조선통신 The state-owned media agency of North Korea
- The Pyongyang Times An English newspaper in North Korea
- Statistics Korea 국가통계청
A governmental institute which oversees all the statistical operations in Korea.
- Korean statistical information service 국가통계포털
Provides statistical data that show overall status of Korea.
- The Bank of Korea Economic Statistics System 한국은행 경제통계시스템
Provides economic data and statistics covering the main sectors of the Korean economy.
- Employment and labour statistics of Korea 고용노동통계
Statistics on the status of employment and labour of Korea.
- Korea Federation of Small and Medium Business 중소기업통계
Offers statistical information and the latest trends of small-to-medium businesses in Korea.
- National Archives and Record Services 국가기록원
A national records information system that provides national records to the citizens of Korea.
Finding Korean material
The University of Auckland Library’s Catalogue containds bibliographical records of Korean items that generally contain both romanization and Korean vernacular scripts (Hangŭl, 한글 or Hancha, 漢字).
You can search for Korean material using either romanized or vernacular scripts. For example:
Hyŏndae Han’guk kyŏngjesa
Chisik pyŏndong ŭi sahoesa
지식 변동의 사회사 (Hangul)
The romanization system used for Korean in the Library is the McCune–Reischauer (MR) system. Additional information:
- ALA-LC Romanization tables: Korean romanization and word division
A romanization table used by the American Library Association and the Library of Congress.
- Korean McCune-Reischauer romanization dictionary
An online dictionary that converts Korean words into romanized scripts.
- A Practical guide to McCune-Reischauer romanization
A personal website which offers thorough, practical explanations on the MR system.
- How to use the Korean romanization and word division
An online tutorial about the MR provided by the at University of Toronto Library.
- Korea Romanization Converter
An online Korean langauge converter provided by Pusan National University.
- Romanize the Korean word (e.g., title, author’s name) using the MR system.
- Put in a space after each word.
- Leave out diacritics such as breve (˘) or alif (’).
- Use a wild card (*) to expand your search. (e.g., han’guk*)
- Examples: 국어 교육 100년사 → Kugo kyoyuk 100-yonsa
한국 소설 문학 대계 → Hanguk sosol munhak taegye
뉴질랜드 여행 노트 → Nyujillaendu yohaeng notu