General Library Special Collections
Find out how to access the General Library Special Collections.
Manuscripts and Archives
Contains over 1,500 metres of original manuscripts and records of mainly Auckland organisations and individuals with an emphasis on trade union and political material, and people connected to the University. (The University's administrative archives are held by the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. Contact Elizabeth Nichol.) All collections are listed in the Manuscripts and Archives Catalogue, with links to finding aids where available. Hard copies of the finding aids are also available in the Reading Room.
Western Pacific Archives
The Western Pacific Archives is a major Manuscripts and Archives collection.
New Zealand Glass Case
Contains rare, fragile and pre-1900 material on New Zealand and the Pacific, as well as publications relating to the University of Auckland.
Rare and valuable books not relating to New Zealand or the Pacific. A range of subjects covering several centuries is represented, with the Hardy Collection being a significant highlight.
The Gilderdale Collection
Betty Gilderdale, prominent children’s writer and children's literature reviewer for the New Zealand Herald, donated the Gilderdale collection to the Library in 2000. The collection comprises many of Mrs Gilderdale's own children's books as well as review copies acquired during her 26 years as a reviewer. A rich resource of New Zealand children’s books from the 1970s onwards, the collection offers educational, sociological, historical and literary research opportunities.
The Hugh Price Collection
A rich collection of historic New Zealand school textbooks and school readers donated by Mr Hugh Price in 2001. Hugh Price founded Price Milburn, a publishing company specialising in books for New Zealand schools in collaboration with Jim Milburn in 1957.
Rare and valuable items from the Asian Languages Collection.
The Forder Collection
A collection of rare mathematical texts donated by Professor Henry G. Forder (Chair in Mathematics 1933-1955). The collection was originally donated to the Science Library in 1974, and was transferred to Special Collections in 2001.